As we head into the last few months of the year, it’s time to start planning for 2022 summer reading programs! The Collaborative Summer Library Program has chosen “Oceans of Possibilities” as its 2022 summer reading theme.
All Indiana public libraries are members of CSLP because the Indiana State Library pays the membership fee for the entire state using LSTA/IMLS funding. That means the slogan and artwork are available for libraries to use; however, individual libraries may decide whether they want to use the CSLP theme each year. The State Library also purchases access to the CSLP online catalog for all Indiana public libraries. The online catalog contains both the artwork for 2022 and program ideas that work with the “oceans” theme.
The online manual access code was sent to directors via email on Sept.15. If your director did not receive the code, please have them or their designee to contact me, Beth Yates, via email. View a tutorial here on how to access the manual. Currently available incentive items can be viewed in the online store.
- Ocean life – General ocean plants and animals, endangered animals, conservation.
- History – Shipwrecks like the Titanic, explorers.
- Geography – Maps, bodies of water.
- Astronomy – Navigation/wayfinding, moon and tides.
- Beaches – Summer fun, beach parties, sand and sandcastles, swimming and safety, the sun.
- Geology/Paleontology – The fossil record shows Indiana was once underwater!
- Weather – The water cycle connects us to oceans even in landlocked Indiana.
- Jobs – Marine biologist, diving/SCUBA, ecologist, fishing, ship captain, lifeguard, geo scientist.
Don’t be afraid to include Indiana’s own lakes, rivers and parks. While they are certainly not oceans, the water cycle connects it all. And as always, it’s more important to offer programs your patrons will be interested in than it is to connect every program to the theme.
Indiana Training Opportunities
This year, I will be offering one webinar that contains news, updates and resources for the summer 2022 program. This webinar will be recorded and posted on the Indiana State Library’s Archived Training page within two weeks of the live session on Dec. 9, and it will be available there through the summer. Unlike in past years, this training will NOT include a roundtable discussion of program ideas. Roundtables will take place separately; all dates and times are listed below.
- CSLP 2022: Oceans of Possibilities – WEBINAR – Thursday, Dec. 9 at 1p.m. ET.
- Roundtable #1 – Monday, Dec. 13 at 2 p.m. ET.
- Roundtable #2 – Tuesday, Jan. 11 at 11 a.m. ET.
- Roundtable #3 – Wednesday, Jan. 19 at 1 p.m. ET.
National Training Opportunity
As the Collaborative Summer Library Program president-elect, membership committee chair and Indiana’s state representative, I am thrilled to announce that CSLP is offering our very first national, virtual summer reading conference!
The CSLP Summer Symposium will take place on Thursday, Dec. 2 from 11:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Eastern time. Session topics include program ideas, outreach ideas/community asset mapping and publicity ideas. You can attend any or all of the sessions FREE of charge using just one link, which you will be sent after you register. While “Oceans of Possibilities” will be a focus, all libraries are welcome, even if you don’t plan to use the 2022 CSLP theme. Sessions will be recorded and made available and will also be eligible for LEUs.
This blog post was written by Beth Yates, children’s consultant for the Indiana State Library.