The Genealogy Division of the Indiana State Library has 12,210 PAM files. Wow, that’s a lot of PAM files, but what is a PAM file? PAM is a shorten form of the word pamphlet. These type of files are also sometimes known in other libraries as clipping files, vertical files or family files.
What kind of information can I find in a PAM file?
You can find family information, photocopies of family Bible pages, family trees, newspaper clippings, cemetery information, city information, county information, state information, photocopies of original records, research notes and some genealogical newsletters.
The PAM files cabinets are located by the elevators in the Genealogy Division reading room in the Indiana State Library. How can I find PAM files?
You can either search the Evergreen online catalog or browse the filing cabinets.
To search the catalog, try this:
Start with the Evergreen Indiana Advanced Search. For the subject type the last name of the family you are wanting to find plus the word “family.” For the format, select “All Books,” for the shelving location select “Genealogy Pamphlet,” and for the library, select “Indiana State Library.”To browse the cabinets, first select the cabinet you are interested in browsing. Next, look for your family surname or subject in alphabetical order. A list of subjects and their cabinet locations is below:
- Family surname cabinets: 929.2
- United States Military, Revolutionary War cabinets: 973.34
- United States Military, War of 1812 cabinets: 973.5
- United States Military, Civil War cabinets: 973.7
- Geographic locations cabinets, Northeastern states (New England): 974
- Geographic locations cabinets, Southeastern states: 975
- Geographic locations cabinets, South Central states: 976
- Geographic locations cabinets, Kentucky: 976.9
- Geographic locations cabinets, North Central states: 977
- Geographic locations cabinets, Ohio: 977.1
- Geographic locations cabinets, Illinois: 977.3
- Geographic locations cabinets, Indiana: 977.2
- Geographic locations cabinets, Indiana Counties: 977.201
- Geographic locations cabinets, Indiana Cities: 977.202
Enjoy exploring the PAM files, you never know what you may find!
This blog post is by Angi Porter, Genealogy Division librarian.